Re: seqential vs random io

От Anjan Dave
Тема Re: seqential vs random io
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I would tell him to go for the random, which is what most DBs would be by nature. What you need to understand will be
thecache parameters, read/write cache amount, and stripe size, depending on your controller type and whatever it
defaultsto on these things.

Thanks,
Anjan

    -----Original Message-----
    From: David Parker [mailto:dparker@tazznetworks.com]
    Sent: Mon 5/23/2005 4:58 PM
    To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
    Subject: [PERFORM] seqential vs random io

    I just got a question from one our QA guys who is configuring a RAID 10 disk that is destined to hold a postgresql
database.The disk configuration procedure is asking him if he wants to optimize for sequential or random access. My
firstthought is that random is what we would want, but then I started wondering if it's not that simple, and my
knowledgeof stuff at the hardware level is, well, limited.....

    If it were your QA guy, what would you tell him?

    - DAP
    David Parker    Tazz Networks    (401) 709-5130