Re: Benchmark Data requested

От Jignesh K. Shah
Тема Re: Benchmark Data requested
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Commercial Db bulk loaders work the same way.. they give you an option
as a fast loader provided in case of error, the whole table is
truncated.  This I think also has real life advantages where PostgreSQL
is used as datamarts which are recreated every now and then from other
systems and they want fast loaders. So its not just the benchmarking
folks like me that will take advantage of such features. INFACT I have
seen that they force the clause "REPLACE TABLE" in the sense that will
infact truncate the table before loading so there is no confusion what
happens to the original data in the table and only then it avoids the logs.

to be honest, its not the WAL Writes to the disk that I am worried
about.. According to my tests, async_commit is coming pretty close to
sync=off and solves the WALWriteLock contention. We should maybe just
focus on making it more efficient which I think also involves
WALInsertLock that may not be entirely efficient.

Also all changes have to be addon options and not replacement for
existing loads, I totally agree to that point.. The guys in production
support don't even like optimizer query plan changes, forget  corrupt
index. (I have spent two days in previous role trying to figure out why
a particular query plan on another database changed in production.)