Re: Postgres and SUN

От Thomas Bräutigam
Тема Re: Postgres and SUN
Дата
Re: Postgres and SUN
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Zmi,

Okay thanks for that advice. Sorry its my first day on a mailing list.

But do Postgres have a special recommendation which SUN equipment runs perfect with a Postgres Database?

A time for a query over 30 seconds I would say is to long. So the machine should be fast enough to handle it in 10-20
Seconds.Price for the Machine doesn’t matter at all. The machine should just fit and can handle this kinda huge
database.

Cheers Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Monnerie [mailto:michael.monnerie@it-management.at]
Sent: Dienstag, 1. April 2008 14:54
To: Thomas Bräutigam
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Postgres and SUN

First, please keep the discussion on the mailinglist.

On Dienstag, 1. April 2008 Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> What is "huge"
> The DB Size is between 500 GB and 2 Terra, mostly over 1 Terra.

Over 1 Tera is kinda huge, I'd say :-)

> I looked at the Fire V490
> One to three User are necessary
> I don't know the exact transacations per second, but the most of the
> jobs the database have to do is that we have a high amount of
> inserations and deletions in the database.
> What do you mean with what kind of Database?

If it's an offline like application where you just need to store lots of information to make some statistics, it
wouldn'tmatter too much if a query takes 50 minutes or 60 minutes. If it's like a broker online system a single query
shouldoptimally take <1ms ;-)

Do you have that db already, and on which hardware. Does it perform well? The best is to have a "normal" machine filled
withthe data to see if you need more. It can be surprising how many transactions/s a simple AMD dual core with 8GB RAM
anda cheap SATA RAID with 16x10krpm WD Raptor disks can handle. Probably you can buy such a test machine, shouldn't
costmore than 3000€, and it's good for a first idea how much you need. And if it's too slow, you'll have an estimation
ofhow much more power you need. This can save a *lot* of money, as Sun's aren't the cheapest iron around, so a smaller
modelprobably saves a lot more money than this test machine.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0676/846 914 666                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                   Key-ID: 1C1209B4