Effect of database encoding on performance

От Igor Postelnik
Тема Effect of database encoding on performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

What’s the effect of different encodings on database performance?

We’re looking to switch encoding of our database from SQL_ASCII to UTF-8 to better handle international data. I expect that at least 90% of our data will be in the ASCII range with a few characters that need double-byte encoding. Has anyone done extensive comparison of the performance of different encodings?

-Igor