RE: Locale by default?

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Тема RE: Locale by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > I would object even if there's such a way.
> > People in Japan have hardly noticed that the strange
> > behabior is due to the strange locale(LC_COLLATE).
>
> I don't think we should design our systems in a way that
inconveniences
> many users because some users are using broken operating systems.  If
> Japanese users have not realized yet that the locale support they are
> using is broken, then it's not the right solution to disable it in
> PostgreSQL by default.  In that case the problem would just persist
for
> the system as a whole.  The right solution is for them to turn off
locale
> support in their operating system, the way it's supposed to be done.

I do not agree with your above statement, I would also want a way to
turn
it off in PostreSQL alone and leave the OS and rest as is (without a
need
to worry about). (Our admins use C, En_US, De_DE, De_AT here, but no
locale
support in the db)

Imho we also need to keep in mind that other DB's don't create locale
aware
char columns by default eighter (they have nchar or some other extended
create table syntax).

Andreas