Problem indexing large database with large number of inserts (partial index building?)

От Benjamin Arai
Тема Problem indexing large database with large number of inserts (partial index building?)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I have a database (200GB+), I need to upload about 10GB of data each
week.  There are no deletions.  My problem is that inserting takes a
very long time due to the indexes.  I can speedup inserting the data
insertion  if I drop the indexes but then I am left with the problem of
rebuilding all of the indexes after the insertions have completed.

Currently, I am doing some optimizations such as batching large number
of inserts into a single commit and I have shut fsync off (fsync=off is
ok for my project).  At this point I am looking for some way to
efficiently insert the data without having to rebuild the indexes every
time.

Is there some way to insert data but defer the INDEX building of new
records until the end of a commit or something similar?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Benjamin