Re: Moving a tablespace

От Peter Koczan
Тема Re: Moving a tablespace
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Hyatt, Gordon
<Gordon.Hyatt@joslin.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I want to move an existing tablespace on an FC8 box.  I read (at
>  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html)
>  that one can simply stop the server, update the symbolic link in
>  $PGDATA/pg_tblspc, start the server, then update the pg_tablespace
>  catalog to point to the new location.
>
>  Is this all there is to moving a tablespace?  It seems too easy.
>
>  The tablespace I want to move is only around 1GB in size so dropping and
>  reloading during the next maintenance cycle is not that much of an
>  issue; although, I'd prefer not to.

Couldn't you also create a new tablespace elsewhere, and use the SET
TABLESPACE subcommand of ALTER TABLE
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-altertable.html) to
migrate all the appropriate tables?

Granted, it's not exactly the same as moving the tablespace, but
there's less manual updating of system catalogs and potentially less
downtime. I don't have a whole lot of experience with tablespaces so I
may be missing something, but that's something you might want to try
out.

Peter