Re: RES: Issue on Varchar Ordering

От Paul B. Anderson
Тема Re: RES: Issue on Varchar Ordering
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I just experienced this.  I changed the collating sequence to POSIX and sorting worked as I had expected.

To change the collating sequence you will have to backup the database, issue initdb with the --lc-collate=POSIX and then restore the data.  In my case, the encoding is still UTF8.

Paul

Erika Terahata Torres Prada e Silva - MPS wrote:
Peter,

Thanks for answering.

But it's not correct to my language pt_BR and it worked correctly with
PostgreSQL at Windows and FreeBSD. I have this problem only with Debian and
now I'm looking for some Debian related issue.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Peter Eisentraut [mailto:peter_e@gmx.net]
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 17 de agosto de 2006 10:04
Para: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Cc: Erika Terahata Torres Prada e Silva - MPS
Assunto: Re: [ADMIN] Issue on Varchar Ordering

Erika Terahata Torres Prada e Silva - MPS wrote:
I'm having the following issue:

create table aluno (id serial, nome varchar(60));

rodrigo=# select * from aluno order by nome offset 35 limit 5;id |               nome
----+-----------------------------------36 | GABRIELA HELEDA DE SOUZA37 | GABRIELA JACOBY NOS38 | GABRIEL ALCIDES KLIM PERONDI39 | GABRIELA LETICIA BATISTA NUNES40 | GABRIEL ALEXANDRE DA SILVA MANICA
(5 registros)

The problem is that records with id 38 and 40 might come before the
others. It seems that the spacing isn't considered on ordering.
That is, for practical purposes, correct.

May I suggest that you properly normalize your tables, by putting given
name and family name into separate columns.