Re: caching table/query

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: caching table/query
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:

> Well ,here is something that might be interesting:
> trying to reduce query time and since that is a web application i now
> using caching with
> perl MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File on application level .(Basically that
> involves quering all the
> table and putting it into MLDBM::Sync::SDBM_File and then quering it
> back ) .What is
> interesting is that while  time quering the tables from postgres is
> taken 0.3 sec. using sdbm
> it takes 0.1 sec.

Note too you have authentication and network latency issues when
querying a remote server.  Also PostgreSQL does a lot besides just
storing your data.  You have permissions enforcement, and a wide variety
of other things.  So it si unreasonable to assume that PostgreSQL will
be as fast as any simple storage mechanism for simple data storage.

> Actually i am not anymore sure that postgres does NOT cache table in
> memory,
> maybe it does and i don't know about it?Maybe the time is spended in
> transmitting the data
> from postgres to the application? How can i test this?

Normally, PostgreSQL will try to intelligently cache information in
memory.  The OS also will generally cache disk reads, so even if it
expires from PostgreSQL's cache, it may be in the OS disk cache.  So
yes, it tries to cache material in memory automatically.

If you want to try to force PostgreSQL to always cache such a table, I
guess it would be possible but any solution you come up with will have
three characteristics:  1)  It will reduce the general memory available
for other database operations (possibly causing things to page to disk
including possibly your cached copy) and this may reduce general
database performance, 2)  It will be messy and bolted on and 3)  It will
likely be brittle-- I don't want to know how easily you can recover
things in the event of a power outage.  PLEASE DON'T DO THIS but I think
one could use a tablespace on a ram disk with some sort of sync'ing
utility (rules/triggers) and intelligent copying of files to and from
disk before startup and after shutdown of the database server.  However,
you are on your own in the event of a power outage....

In general, Tom's advice is very good:  Build your application first,
and expect that PostgreSQL's optimizer will do a reasonable job of
optimizing your data access.  Then when you have bottlenecks, look for
ways around these.  Do as *little as possible* to optimize things and
look for the simplest steps to remove your bottlenecks.  This will
ensure that your application and data are maintainable down the road.
The optimizer is actually quite good.  Use it as your primary tool of
performance enhancement.

Remember Occam's Razor:  "One should not needlessly multiply entities."
(the most common translation I have seen regarding what William of Occam
actually said.)  This statement is a fabulous engineering principle.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting