Re: Dumping in LATIN1 and restoring in UTF-8

От Marco Bizzarri
Тема Re: Dumping in LATIN1 and restoring in UTF-8
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/6/06, Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de> wrote:
> >> Yes, its actually quite esay: you dump as you feel apropriate,
> >> then create the database with the encoding you want,
> >> restore w/o creating database and you are done.
> >> Restore sets the client encoding to what it actually was
> >> in the dump data (in your case latin-1) and the database
> >> would be utf-8 - postgres automatically recodes. No need
> >> for iconv and friends.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Tino
> >>

> > First of all, thank you for your answer. However, I suspect I did not
> > understand your answer, since the commands I used were:
> >
> > 1) pg_dump -Ft -b -f dump.sql.tar database
> > 2) dropdb database
> > 3) createdb -E UNICODE database
> > 4) pg_restore -d database dump.sql.tar
> >
> > According to my experience, this produces a "double encoding". As you
> > can see, I hand-created the database, with the proper encoding.
> > However, when I reimported the database, the result was a latin1
> > encoded in utf-8, rather than a pure utf-8.
> >
> > How my procedure was different with respect to yours?
>
> That was the correct way. I wonder if you have recoding support
> enabled? Did you build postgres yourself?

Support for recoding? I don't know... I compiled myself postgres,
which is, BTW, 7.4.8. How can I check if auto recoding is enabled?

> Latin-1 double encoded into utf-8 seems not like possible...
> utf-8 barfs on most latin-1 characters, current 8.1 is very
> picky about it. So maybe you can work with a small
> test table to find out what's going wrong here.

Yes, I will do... I understand postgresql in later release became much
more "picky" about encoding.

> (The changing of the client_enccoding setting in the backup is only
> needed in the case when you had data in the wrong encoding
> - like SQLAscii filled with latin-1 or something)

Ok, thanks!

Regards
Marco

--