Re: Is Oracle really so much faster

От Alvar Freude
Тема Re: Is Oracle really so much faster
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

> > try to make the commit every 500 or 1000 inserts. It seems to me, that
> > PG slow down if there are lots of MBs waiting for commit ...
>
> MB == Memory Buffers?
> If so then it shouldn't be the case for 7.0.X with Tom' work in bufmgr area.

Megabytes :-)

tested in 7.1

The inserts slow down if there are too much not-committed inserts
pending. But, I'm only sure about the time for the insert statement
itself, and not the complete time -- perhaps a final commit is faster
then the sum of a lot of commits in between.

At my test, I used two insert per object, and each object needed about
35 milliseconds (on P2/350 MHz) at each table size. If i inserted ~15000
obejcts in one transaction, the insertion time for each request slows
down to ~200 milliseconds at the end.

So, I guess this has to be tested in detail again ;)

Ciao
  Alvar

--
Alvar C.H. Freude  |  alvar.freude@merz-akademie.de