Newest Beta: slover with SELECT then 7.03?

От Alvar Freude
Тема Newest Beta: slover with SELECT then 7.03?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello list,

I installed and compiled the latest CVS-Beta of Postgres and made some
simple benchmarks with extremely simple tables (only a SERIAL and a int4
column).

According to http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3 the
newest beta is much more faster then the 7.0 releases.

But with my tests the 7.0 needs ~1.6 milliseconds for each

  SELECT number FROM simple WHERE id = 123

where 123 is always different a random number.

I compiled Postgres without any options and started postmaster with the
-F option, so inserts are much more faster then in 7.0 without -F, but
always ~10 times slower then the same with MySQL (on the other hand: the
select statement needs on mysql about 1.1 milliseconds, so the
differences are here not so big).

I guess there are some configuration options which helps to speed up the
stuff, any hints?

Also with some other other simple speed benchmarks i found some strange
behaviour, if some of the developers is interested let me know; the next
days I'll make some more complicated ;)

Bye
  Alvar

--