Re: postmaster blues after system restart

От Thomas F. O'Connell
Тема Re: postmaster blues after system restart
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Well, after digging a bit deeper, I guess the conclusion is that the
best practice is to trust package maintainers and follow their lead
when installing from source.

I notice, for instance, that contrib/start-scripts/linux recommends
S98 for /etc/rc. That wouldn't've prevented the S99 mountnfs.sh foul-
up, but it would've prevented it had mountnfs.sh been at its
(apparent) default of S45.

And the problem that bit me looks only to have been an issue when
used in conjunction with postgres when built from source on Debian,
as Debian seems to prefer /var/run/postgresql for its socket
directory, thereby avoiding the issue with /tmp altogether.

So either by following the guidance of contrib/start-scripts/linux or
the postgresql package for Debian, the problem is alleviated.

But cleaning out /tmp seems to be a part of institutional practice on
Linux, so it still seems like something about that deserves mention
somewhere in the postgres documentation since the default for
unix_socket_directory is /tmp.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect

Open Source Solutions. Optimized Web Development.

http://www.sitening.com/
110 30th Avenue North, Suite 6
Nashville, TN 37203-6320
615-469-5150