Re: Optimizer use of index slows down query by factor

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Optimizer use of index slows down query by factor
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Michael Ruf <mrf@inxmail.de> writes:
> we experience some strange performance problems, we've already found a
> workaround for us, but are curious if it's a known problem of the optimizer.

I think you need to see about getting this rowcount estimate to be more
accurate:

>                             ->  Index Scan using idx_link_1 on link
> (cost=0.00..680.51 rows=13477 width=26) (actual time=5.707..12.043
> rows=126 loops=1)
>                                   Index Cond: (task_id = 1556)
>                                   Filter: (((deletable IS NULL) OR (NOT
> deletable)) AND ((link_type = 8) OR (link_type = 9)))

If it realized there'd be only 126 rows out of that scan, it'd probably
have gone for a nestloop join against the big table, which I think would
be noticeably faster than either of the plans you show here.

You already did crank up default_statistics_target, so I'm not sure if
raising it further would help any.  What I'd suggest is trying to avoid
using non-independent AND/OR conditions.  For instance recasting the
first OR as just "deletable is not true" would probably result in a
better estimate.  The size of the error seems to be more than that would
account for though, so I suspect that the deletable and link_type
conditions are interdependent.  Is it practical to recast your data
representation to avoid that?