Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3

От Chris Hedemark
Тема Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
Дата
Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 03:42 PM, Jeffrey D. Brower wrote:

> OK so am I hearing:

Enough...

...there is waaay too much hearsay going on in this thread.  Let's come
up with an acceptable test battery and actually settle it once and for
all with good hard numbers.  It would be worth my while to spend some
time on this since the developers I support currently hate pgsql due to
performance complaints (on servers that predate my employment there).
So if I am going to move them to better servers it would be worth my
while to do some homework on what OS and FS is best.

I'm not qualified at all to define the tests.  I am willing to try it
on any OS that will run on a Sun Ultra 5, which would include Linux,
several BSD's and Solaris to name a few.  It also runs the gammut of
filesystems that have been talked about here.  The machine isn't a
barnstormer but I'm willing to put in an 18GB SCSI drive and try this
with many different OS's and FS's if someone qualified will put
together an acceptable test suite and it doesn't meet with too much
opposition by the gurus here.

The test machine:

    Sun UltraSPARC 5
    333MHz UltraSPARC CPU, 2MB cache
    256MB RAM
    whatever SCSI card I can find most quickly
    either a 9GB or 18GB SCSI drive (whichever I can find most quickly)

The test client would likely be an Apple Powerbook G4 800MHz, 512MB,
running OS X 10.2.4.  Yes the client runs rings around the server but I
can afford to abuse the server.

While the server is admittedly an older machine, for the purpose of
this test it should not matter as long as the hardware configuration is
equal for all tests.  If we agree on a test suite there is nothing to
stop someone from running the same suite on their own hardware and
reporting their own results.

Anyone game to give a go at this?

--

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
Сообщение: Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3