Re: The number of bytes is stored in index_size of pgstatindex() ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: The number of bytes is stored in index_size of pgstatindex() ?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
=?UTF-8?B?5aSn5aGa5oay5Y+4?= <otsuka.kenji@nttcom.co.jp> writes:
> It seems that description of index_size that is returned by pgstatindex() is wrong.
> The document says "Total number of pages in index".
> But it looks like the number of bytes is stored in index_size.

Hmm, you're right, because what the code does is

        values[j++] = psprintf(INT64_FORMAT,
                               (indexStat.root_pages +
                                indexStat.leaf_pages +
                                indexStat.internal_pages +
                                indexStat.deleted_pages +
                                indexStat.empty_pages) * BLCKSZ);

so the result is clearly measured in bytes not pages.

I was going to just change the docs to say "Total index size in bytes",
but then I noticed that this number is not that either: it does not
count the metapage and therefore is BLCKSZ less than the true file
size.  As an example:

regression=# select * from pgstatindex('tenk1_unique1');
 version | tree_level | index_size | root_block_no | internal_pages | leaf_pages
 | empty_pages | deleted_pages | avg_leaf_density | leaf_fragmentation
---------+------------+------------+---------------+----------------+-----------
-+-------------+---------------+------------------+--------------------
       2 |          1 |     237568 |             3 |              0 |         28
 |           0 |             0 |            87.91 |                  0
(1 row)

regression=# select relfilenode from pg_class where relname = 'tenk1_unique1';
 relfilenode
       27449
(1 row)

$ ls -l 27449
-rw-------. 1 postgres postgres 245760 Feb 17 18:58 27449

I think this is a bug and we ought to fix the code to include the
metapage in the reported index_size.  Thoughts?