Re: PostgreSQL Benchmark

От Lincoln Yeoh
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Benchmark
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The license agreements of many commercial DBs forbid licensees from
publishing benchmarks of their software.

What is your undergraduate project? More details could help, anyway most of
the popular RDBMS features are in Postgresql.

I'd figure Postgresql is one of the best RDBMSes to use for an
undergraduate project. For one, you and your uni don't have to waste time
on figuring out how much you have to pay the commercial vendor. No need to
send info to the RDBMS salesperson on how many CPU's you are going to use,
how many users, the megahertz of your CPU, how much money is in your bank
account and so on.

And especially in your case if you need a special feature you can even
start a miniproject to add it to Postgresql - the source code is available,
the documentation is there, and there's a developer mailing list too. I
doubt you'd get that from most commercial RDBMSes. If you add a real cool
feature, I'm sure it'll look impressive in your project report, and resumé
for that matter :).

Cheerio,
Link.