Re: Speed & Memory Management

От Murthy Kambhampaty
Тема Re: Speed & Memory Management
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
This, and the message from Tom Lane, seem inconsistent with the
documentation re "Character Types"
(http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/datatype-character.html)
which says:

"Tip:  There are no performance differences between these three types, apart
from the increased storage size when using the blank-padded type."

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Eisentraut [mailto:peter_e@gmx.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 16:42
To: Kris
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Speed & Memory Management

Kris writes:

> My thought is that because I will likely have many
> updates/inserts/deletes occurring I should set each column that requires
> text to a static ammount (ie using char(30) instead of text).

That would buy you absolutely nothing.  char() is not faster than text.
Instead you would make everything slower because the system would
constantly have to pad and trim your values and it would bloat the storage
with the extra spaces.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster