Create index hanging

От Claire McLister
Тема Create index hanging
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

  We have a couple of tables (40,000 and 600,000 rows each) that I am
trying to build an index on an integer column.

  When I issue the "create index foo_index on foo(id);" command in
psql it just does not return. I've waited over half an hour for the
smaller table.

  The same command worked with no problems on a test environment with
roughly the same data.

  Any ideas what may be going on? When I use the "top" command, I
don't see postmaster as working during this time. So I suspect that
the create index has gone in some sort of a wait mode.

  Will appreciate any suggestions.

  Thanks

Claire

  --