Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs

От Ron Peacetree
Тема Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Дата
Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs  (Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
As others have noted, the current price/performance "sweet spot" for DB servers is 2S 2C AMD CPUs.  These CPUs are also
thehighest performing x86 compatible solution for pg.

If you must go Intel for some reason, then wait until the new NGMA CPU's (Conroe, Merom, Woodcrest) come out and see
howthey bench on DB workloads.  Preliminary benches on these chips look good, but I would not recommend making a
purchasedecision based on just preliminary benches of unreleased products.

If you must buy soon, then the decision is clear cut from anything except possinly a political/religious standpoint.
The NetBurst based Pentium and Xeon solutions are simply not worth the money spent or the PITA they will put you
throughcompared to the AMD dual cores.  The new Intel NGMA CPUs may be different, but all the pertinent evidence is not
yetavailable.

My personal favorite pg platform at this time is one based on a 2 socket, dual core ready mainboard with 16 DIMM slots
combinedwith dual core AMD Kx's.

Less money than the "comparable" Intel solution and _far_ more performance.

...and even if you do buy Intel, =DON"T= buy Dell unless you like causing trouble for yourself.
Bad experiences with Dell in general and their poor PERC RAID controllers in specific are all over this and other DB
forums.

Ron