Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?

От Ron Peacetree
Тема Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Дата
Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Список pgsql-hackers
*blink* Tapes?!  I thought that was a typo...
If our sort is code based on sorting tapes, we've made a mistake.  HDs
are not tapes, and Polyphase Merge Sort and it's brethren are not the
best choices for HD based sorts.

Useful references to this point:
Knuth, Vol 3 section 5.4.9, (starts p356 of 2ed)
Tharp, ISBN 0-471-60521-2, starting p352
Folk, Zoellick, and Riccardi, ISBN 0-201-87401-6, chapter 8 (starts p289)

The winners of the "Daytona" version of Jim Gray's sorting contest, for
general purpose external sorting algorithms that are of high enough quality
to be offered commercially, also demonstrate a number of better ways to
attack external sorting using HDs.

The big take aways from all this are:
1= As in Polyphase Merge Sort, optimum External HD Merge Sort
performance is obtained by using Replacement Selection and creating
buffers of different lengths for later merging.  The values are different.

2= Using multiple HDs split into different functions, IOW _not_ simply
as RAIDs, is a big win.
A big enough win that we should probably consider having a config option
to pg that allows the use of HD(s) or RAID set(s) dedicated as temporary
work area(s).

3= If the Key is small compared record size, Radix or Distribution
Counting based algorithms are worth considering.

The good news is all this means it's easy to demonstrate that we can
improve the performance of our sorting functionality.

Assuming we get the abyssmal physical IO performance fixed...
(because until we do, _nothing_ is going to help us as much)

Ron