Re: Mirroring with WAL?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Mirroring with WAL?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Chad R. Larson" <chad@eldocomp.com> writes:
> At 10:35 PM 10/17/01 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> There are no plans to make WAL into a replication facility, for reasons
>> which were discussed on the developer lists as well.

> But we =are= still planning to use the WAL to implement a point-in-time
> recovery process, yes?

In its present form it's far too bulky to be kept around over any long
period of time --- or didn't you notice all the squawks about WAL files
overrunning disk as soon as anyone had a long-running transaction?

I'd say it's quite useless for PIT recovery unless we implement some
sort of filtering/compression process to produce an archivable WAL.
Which is doable, certainly, but it's not in the present implementation.