Re: trouble making PG use my Perl

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: trouble making PG use my Perl
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2020-02-28 07:17:27 -0600, Steven Lembark wrote:
> RH and Debian distros are distriuted by heavy Python users who
> go out of their way to hamstring Perl at every step.

That's just complete bullshit, at least for Debian (I don't have current
experience with Redhat). The maintainer system makes that very unlikely.

> Unless things have changed massively, the Perl they distribute is not
> only out of date it's nearly broken out of the box.

I have been programming in Perl for 25 years, much of that time on
Redhat and Debian systems. Perl was sometimes a bit out of date (usually
because the OS was a bit out of date - that's the price you pay for
stability), but never as much as on commercial Unixes like HP-UX or
Solaris, and it was never broken. I have occasionally compiled perl
myself, usually because I wanted to try out some new features, sometimes
because I tried to make it faster. But for production use I've almost
always used the system-supplied perl.

        hp

Вложения