Re: explaining the pg_total_relation_size/pg_relation_size results

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: explaining the pg_total_relation_size/pg_relation_size results
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 2018-Jun-20, Wells Oliver wrote:

> I have the follwing in a view to glance at the size of my relations:
>
> pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size(c.oid::regclass)) AS size,
> pg_total_relation_size(c.oid::regclass) AS bytes
>
> This view sorts by pg_relation_size(c.oid::regclass) descending.
>
> The question is: the byte values are often higher for relations with a
> lower size indicated by size. As I sit here, I see an 11GB table
> of 23821893632 bytes and a 12GB table of 14545387520 bytes, and
> lastly/weirdly, a 3194MB table of 19924844544 bytes.

This is a strange question.  pg_total_relation_size includes the size of
indexes and toast table and index, which pg_relation_size does not, so
it seems natural that they give wildly different results for differently
shaped tables.