Re: Add --with-llvm to the development snapshot build of Pg11

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Add --with-llvm to the development snapshot build of Pg11
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
Hi,

On 2018-04-02 20:12:11 +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Andres Freund 2018-04-02 <20180402180943.7s74bs5klz55e3lv@alap3.anarazel.de>
> > Are you planning to put the JIT related stuff in a separate package?
> > It's setup so you can put
> > pkglibdir/{llvmjit_types.bc,llvmjit.so,bitcode/} in a separate package,
> > and not have a dependency to LLVM from the main server package.
>
> I was pondering eventually doing that, yes. So far it's directly in
> the postgresql-11 package.

Ok.

> (The worse bloat is actually in postgresql-server-dev-11 which now
> also needs to depend on clang and llvm-dev.)

I'm a lot less concerned about that, personally. If you're installing
server headers you're already depending on a lot of other libraries, and
you're not that likely to do so on production systems.

Hm, I guess there'd be build failures of extensions if llvm-$ver and
clang aren't installed, because bitcode files will be automatically
built. I don't think there's a dependency on llvm-$ver-dev however?

Sizewise, the bitcode files for postgres and its extensions aren't that
small. ~10MB compressed or such?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: Add --with-llvm to the development snapshot build of Pg11
Сообщение: Re: Add --with-llvm to the development snapshot build of Pg11