Re: [GENERAL] Total ram size study

От Marcin Giedz
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Total ram size study
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Is it possible so you can share your postgresql.conf file and system settings if any for this 256G ram installation pls?

Thx
Marcin

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
From: Melvin Davidson
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 18:31
To: Vick Khera
Reply To: Melvin Davidson
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Total ram size study

Thanks Vick,

Those were my thoughts as well. Your response gives me something to help convince the client to kick up the hardware.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:
I've not done a formal study, but I've always found that throwing hardware at the problem does wonders. My current database I made faster by bumping RAM until the entire working set fits in memory. The server has 256GB of RAM, half of which is used by ZFS for its purposes, and the other half for Postgres. The prior iteration of the servers only had 64GB of RAM and the difference was very remarkable.