Re: How does PG know if data is in memory?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: How does PG know if data is in memory?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> <gnuoytr@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> > -- None of that is anything for amateurs to play with.
> >
> > Not jam a stick in anybody's eye, but shouldn't database pros not
> > be amateurs?
>
> While many PostgreSQL installations are managed by professional
> DBAs, or programmers or consultants with a deep enough grasp of the
> issues to tune a knob like that appropriately, PostgreSQL is also
> used in environments without such staff.  In fact, there is pressure
> to make PostgreSQL easier to configure for exactly that reason.  If
> we add more knobs which are this hard to tune correctly, we would
> risk inundation with complaints from people to tried to use it and
> made things worse.

Agreed.  Here is a blog entry that explains some of the tradeoffs of
adding knobs:

    http://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2009.html#January_10_2009

От: "Kevin Grittner"
Сообщение: Re: BBU Cache vs. spindles
От: Tim Goodaire
Сообщение: Experiences with running PostgreSQL on Blue Arc Network Storage