Re: FTS performance with the Polish config

От Kenneth Marshall
Тема Re: FTS performance with the Polish config
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:25:05PM +0100, Wojciech Knapik wrote:

> Hello
>
>  I just finished implementing a "search engine" for my site and found
> ts_headline extremely slow when used with a Polish tsearch configuration,
> while fast with English. All of it boils down to a simple testcase, but
> first some background.
>
>  I tested on 8.3.1 on G5/OSX 10.5.8 and Xeon/Gentoo AMD64-2008.0 (2.6.21),
> then switched both installations to 8.3.8 (both packages compiled, but
> provided by the distro - port/emerge). The Polish dictionaries and config
> were created according to this article (it's in Polish, but the code is
> self-explanatory):
>
> http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2008/04/22/polish-tsearch-in-83-polski-tsearch-w-postgresie-83/
>
>  Now for the testcase:
>
> text = 'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
> eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad
> minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex
> ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate
> velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat
> cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id
> est laborum.'
>
> # explain analyze select ts_headline('polish', text,
> plainto_tsquery('polish', 'foobar'));
>                                      QUERY PLAN
>  Result  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=0) (actual time=6.407..6.470 rows=1
> loops=1)
>  Total runtime: 6.524 ms
> (2 rows)
>
> # explain analyze select ts_headline('english', text,
> plainto_tsquery('english', 'foobar'));
>                                      QUERY PLAN
>  Result  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=0) (actual time=0.861..0.895 rows=1
> loops=1)
>  Total runtime: 0.935 ms
> (2 rows)
>
> # explain analyze select ts_headline('simple', text,
> plainto_tsquery('simple', 'foobar'));
>                                      QUERY PLAN
>  Result  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=0) (actual time=0.627..0.660 rows=1
> loops=1)
>  Total runtime: 0.697 ms
> (2 rows)
>
> #
>
>  As you can see, the results differ by an order of magnitude between Polish
> and English. While in this simple testcase it's a non-issue, in the real
> world this translates into enormous overhead.
>
>  One of the queries I ran testing my site's search function took 1870ms.
> When I took that query and changed all ts_headline(foo) calls to just foo,
> the time dropped below 100ms. That's the difference between something
> completely unacceptable and something quite useful.
>
>  I can post various details about the hardware, software and specific
> queries, but the testcases speak for themselves. I'm sure you can easily
> reproduce my results.
>
>  Hints would be very much appreciated, since I've already spent way more
> [...]

Hi,

The documentation for ts_headline() states:

ts_headline uses the original document, not a tsvector summary, so it can be slow
and should be used with care. A typical mistake is to call ts_headline for every
matching document when only ten documents are to be shown. SQL subqueries can help;
here is an example:

SELECT id, ts_headline(body, q), rank
FROM (SELECT id, body, q, ts_rank_cd(ti, q) AS rank
      FROM apod, to_tsquery('stars') q
      WHERE ti @@ q
      ORDER BY rank DESC
      LIMIT 10) AS foo;

It looks like you have proven that behavior. I have not looked at the ts_headline
code, but it may also be slowed by the locale, so showing that it is faster for
English is not really saying much. Maybe there is a better algorithm that could
be used, but that would require code changes. It may be that you can change some
of the parameters to speed it up. Good luck.

Regards,
Ken