Re: dump time increase by 1h with new kernel

От Justin T Pryzby
Тема Re: dump time increase by 1h with new kernel
Дата
Re: dump time increase by 1h with new kernel
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Everyone

On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 11:31:11PM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> between these two to tell them exactly which one(s) causes the
> regression(s).  That and how you compiled them or where they came from
These are both ubuntu kernels, and there's none in-between available
from their repository for testing.  I could compile myself, but it
would have to include all the ubuntu patches (apparmor in
particular)..

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 01:14:52AM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> stable|head]?".
I could try *newer* kernels, but not from newer ubuntu releases.  This
machine is running ubuntu 8.04 with select packages from 8.10.
However it's running postgres 8.2, which isn't included with either of
those releases..  I tried dumping with 8.3 pg_dump, which had only
minimal effect.

> If you can try both kernel versions, the other thing you really
> should do is collect data from "vmstat 1" during the pg_dump period.
> It would help narrow what area is slower.
I have sar running on the machine, and came up with this:

07 and 30 are days of the month, 7 is last night, 30 is from
September.  pg_dump starts around 9pm.  tail -15 gets us to about
10pm.  On sep 30, the machine was running 2.6.24 and the dump ran
until after 2am.  Since we rebooted, it runs .27 and the dump runs
until after 4am.  So the last column shows higher rate values for
every metric on the 30th (under .24) except for intr.

for a in user system iowait cswch tps rtps wtps intr; do for b in 07 30; do eval t$b='`sadf /var/log/sysstat/sa$b -- -A
|grep-wi "$a" |tail -15 |awk "{sum+=\\$NF}END{print sum/NR}"`'; done; printf "%-6s %4.4s %4.4s %5.5s\n" $a $t30 $t07
`calc$t30/$t07`; done
       s30  o07  s30/o07
user   13.9 6.85 ~2.03
system 0.56 0.37 ~1.52
iowait 0.61 0.52 ~1.16
cswch  873. 672. ~1.29
intr   121. 396. ~0.30
tps    412. 346. ~1.19
rtps   147. 143. ~1.02
wtps   264. 202. ~1.30

Not sure if sar can provide other data included by vmstat: IO merged
in/out, {,soft}irq ticks?

Thanks,
Justin

От: Tory M Blue
Сообщение: concurrent reindex issues
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: dump time increase by 1h with new kernel