Another PITR question

От Scott Whitney
Тема Another PITR question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Sorry for the repetition on some of this stuff. I'm just now learning it.

So, I've got my WALs archiving just fine, and I've got my base backup.

What I'd like to do is keep the standby server in recovery mode.

Docs say:
"If we continuously feed the series of WAL files to another machine that has
been loaded with the same base backup file, we have a "hot standby" system:
at any point we can bring up the second machine and it will have a
nearly-current copy of the database."

Yep. That's what I want, alright.

So, what I have is this:

Production server:
archive command: (pseudo code): stick 'em out in the mounted dir

Recovery server:
restore command: This is where it gets dicey, to me.

If I say:
restore_command = 'cp /mnt/server/archivedir/%f %p'

it will copy all existing WAL files from the archive dir into the xlog dir,
and when I start the postmaster it will replay them. However, I want the
standby to CONSTANTLY stay in recovery mode, not just restore the WALs it
finds when I start it.

Is this possible? Can someone explain or point me to some example docs
somewhere?