Re: Email not searchable in our archives

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Email not searchable in our archives
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > bruce wrote:
> > > Would someone please fine out why the attached email from Heikki is not
> > > appearing in a search of our archives?  I tried the subject and a line
> > > from the email and neither came up as a hit:
> >
> > OK, it has been 24 hours since I reported some emails are not being
> > archived and no one has even responded they are looking at the problem.
> >
> > Are we unable to manage our own archive search?  If we can't, I will
> > start linking to another archive from the TODO list.  Right now, every
> > time I need a URL for the TODO list I have to troll through the archives
> > by date until I find the email.
>
> Obviously I wil look at this as soon as I can. But as Dave has
> already pointed out, most of us has a dayjob that has to be
> prioritised, so everything cannot be done within 24 hours. I
> was hopeing somebody else would have time to look at it meanwhile,
> but so far nobody has had the time. If this is not acceptable
> then the answer to your question is no, we currently can't do
> it.

OK, so should we look to outsource our searching?  (Of cource, Google
isn't indexing all the emails either so I am worried about outsourcing
too.)

> I notice, however, that when we have a similar issue with for
> example the patch queue not being updated for many many weeks,
> that is considered a *feature*, and not a problem. Are we not
> able to manage our own patch queue? If we can't, perhaps we
> should stop all development until we can be sure it's always
> up-to-date?

The patch emails have always been available and online.  What wasn't
done is processing them as TODO items and applying, and that isn't going
to be done for weeks still, I bet.

We don't have an option to outsource that, but we do have the option for
search.  Also, search is a public infrastructure issue, while the patch
queue is a development tool --- I don't consider them to have the same
reliability requirements.

Also, I have been working on the patch queue for a week, and so has Tom.
The search problem, a more public infrastructure with a higher promise
of reliability, isn't even being worked on yet.

-- Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Email not searchable in our archives
Сообщение: Re: Email not searchable in our archives