Re: postgres memory management issues?

От Michael Stone
Тема Re: postgres memory management issues?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:06:53AM -0700, Richard Yen wrote:
>My understanding is that if any one postgres process's memory usage,
>plus the shared memory, exceeds the kernel limit of 4GB,

On a 32 bit system the per-process memory limit is a lot lower than 4G.
If you want to use 16G effectively it's going to be a lot easier to
simply use a 64bit system. That said, it's more likely that you've got a
number of processes using an aggregate of more than 16G than that you're
exceeding the limit per process. (Hitting the per-process limit should
result in a memory allocation failure rather than an out of memory
condition.)

Mike Stone