Re: proposed FAQ entry

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: proposed FAQ entry
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Gardner wrote:
> > Earlier today I was tempted to start storing usesysid's as foreign keys
> > in one of my tables by doing:
> > SELECT usesysid FROM pg_user WHERE pg_user.usename= user;
> >
> > My proposed FAQ entry is based on this mailing list post which convinced
> > me not to:
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2005-04/msg00328.php
> >

> > So the Question would be:
> >
> > Q) How do I keep track of edits to a table? OR Can I use store usesysid
> > in my table to identify users?
> >
> > A) No because usesysid values are not guaranteed to remain the same
> > after a restore, or upgrade. Instead store the user name as text, if
> > needed create your own user table and associate the user names with
> > integer keys.
>
> Uh, sorry, this is not a _frequent_ question/issue.

Hmm, I do see it from time to time in pgsql-es-ayuda.  Maybe not as
frequently as some other questions that are also missing from the FAQ
(like a thorough explanation of encoding issues), but I digress.

--
Alvaro Herrera                               http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org/
"Ni aun el genio muy grande llegaría muy lejos