Re: On future conferences

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: On future conferences
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:49:27PM -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:

> company out there...and many others.  Their problem is more one of
> offering training to support their sales machine (I'd wonder if it is
> even a profit center for them)...

I think this is an important observation.  "Certification" in many
technologies in fact has nothing to do with producing competent
administrators or users.  It's instead a sales technique, in which
the certified pay for the privilege of being indoctrinated in the
world-view of the producers of the technology (yes, I wrote that in a
deliberately inflammatory way.  It's a exaggeration).  It is
sometimes the case that such certification happens to be technically
as good as can be; that isn't to say that it isn't still primarily a
sales effort.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.
        --Jane Jacobs