"UNICODE" error during restoration

От TK
Тема "UNICODE" error during restoration
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

We took a dump of a database running PostgreSQL 7.3.10 (on Gentoo Linux).

We tried to restore it onto a server running PostgreSQL 7.4.13 (on Gentoo Linux). This resulted in the following errors:

psql:<stdin>:13856: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0x85
psql:<stdin>:537916: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xa0
psql:<stdin>:1009873: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0x92
etc.

We tried to restore the same dump on a server running PostgreSQL 7.3.9 (on Gentoo Linux) and the restoration was successful.
It also worked without any problem on a server running  PostgreSQL 7.4.5 (on Gentoo Linux).

All the databases in this scenario were of UNICODE encoding type.

What could be the reson for this, and how can we avoid this?

Thanks in advance,

-Thusitha