Re: Postgres consuming way too much memory???

От jody brownell
Тема Re: Postgres consuming way too much memory???
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom - that make sense... and fits the timeline of when the instability may have been introduced.

I use soft references in java to track these relationships. When the GC needs memory it will collect
objects referenced by soft references so I need to have this exception caught where my caches may get cleaned.

When the system is under load as it would be in this case, there references would be cleaned causing a large
number of exceptions in the pgplsql, subsequently causing the leak... hence the swift downward spiral.

The previous version of these routines used selects but due to volume of selects, performance suffered quite
a bit. I dont think I could revert now for production use... closing the connection maybe the workaround for
us for this release IF this is in fact what the problem is. Unfortunatly, I use the catch in about 20 similar
routines to reset sequences etc.... this may be painful :(

I will modify the routine to help isolate the problem. stay tuned.

BTW - the fix you mentioned .... is that targeted for 8.2? Is there a timeline for 8.2?