Re: localization, encoding problem

От Ivo Rossacher
Тема Re: localization, encoding problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I think first you need to be aware about the nature of the ASCII encoding
within the postgresql server. ASCII encoding means that there is no encoding
at all. So it would be the full responsibility of the client applications to
store and read consistent encodings. Therefore it is clear that the server
can not know what he should convert to within the function to_ascii() in this
case.

Second what fore do you need to convert? If you need the conversion for client
readings you only have to set the desired encoding for the client by
SET client_encoding = '[desired encoding]';
when you open the conncetion to the server. With this setting the server will
convert the texts to the client encoding for you.

If you need to change the 'á' to 'a' you most probably need to write a
function (encoding) which does it for you. However this seems to be a
extreemly wirred operation which most possibly should be solved within the
client (by allowing this special charaters or converting them directly before
inserting them into the database), then within the server.

In the chapter 20.2. Character Set Support in the manual you can find more
details about this issues.

Best regards
Ivo Rossacher