Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory

От Steve Wampler
Тема Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory
Дата
Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:06:58PM -0400, Ketema Harris wrote:
> I was wondering if there were any performance issues with having a data
> directory that was an nfs mounted drive?  Say like a SAN or NAS device? Has
> anyone done this before?

My understanding is that NFS is pretty poor in performance in general,
so I would expect it to be particularly bad for a DB.  You might run
some (non-DB) performance tests to get a feel for how bad it might me.
(Someone once told me that NFS topped out at around 12MB/s, but I don't
know if that's really true [they were trying to sell a competitive
networked filesystem]).

In any event, you're at least limited by ethernet speeds, if not more.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu