Re: open file counts in 8.1.2?

От Ed L.
Тема Re: open file counts in 8.1.2?
Дата
Re: open file counts in 8.1.2?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday March 14 2006 10:25 am, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> > We're trying to make sense of the number of open files on an
> > HP-UX 11.23 system that's getting several new 8.1.2
> > clusters, and in particular why the numbers appear to be
> > significantly larger than our 7.4 clusters on similar
> > hardware.  Would there be anything particular to 8.1.2 over
> > 7.4 that would lead to a larger number of open files?
>
> This is much too handwavy to provide an intelligent comment
> on. Get a copy of "lsof" and find out exactly which processes
> have how many files open, then we'll have some idea what's
> going on...

We have 3 clusters with 24K, 34K, and 47K open files according to
lsof.  These same clusters have 164, 179, and 210 active
connections, respectively.  Their schemas, counting the number
of user and system entries in pg_class as a generously rough
measure of potential open files, contain roughly 2000 entries
each.  Those open files seem pretty plausible, they're just much
higher than what we see on the older systems.

Ed