Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum (off-topic?)

От Michael Crozier
Тема Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum (off-topic?)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wednesday 18 January 2006 08:54 am, Chris Browne wrote:
> To the contrary, there is a whole section on what functionality to
> *ADD* to VACUUM.

Near but not quite off the topic of VACUUM and new features...

I've been thinking about parsing the vacuum output and storing it in
Postgresql.  All the tuple, page, cpu time, etc... information would be
inserted into a reasonably flat set of tables.

The benefits I would expect from this are:

* monitoring ability - I could routinely monitor the values in the table to
warn when vacuum's are failing or reclaimed space has risen dramatically.  I
find it easier to write and maintain monitoring agents that perform SQL
queries than ones that need to routinely parse log files and coordinate with
cron.

* historical perspective on tuple use - which a relatively small amount of
storage, I could use the vacuum output to get an idea of usage levels over
time, which is beneficial for planning additional capacity

* historical information could theoretically inform the autovacuum, though I
assume there are better alternatives planned.

* it could cut down on traffic on this list if admin could see routine
maintenance in a historical context.

Assuming this isn't a fundamentally horrible idea, it would be nice if there
were ways to do this without parsing the pretty-printed vacuum text (ie,
callbacks, triggers, guc variable).

I'd like to know if anybody does this already, thinks its a bad idea, or can
knock me on the noggin with the pg manual and say, "it's already there!".

Regards,

 Michael

Сообщение: Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?
Сообщение: Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?