Sneak preview of a new generation of front end GUI for PostgreSQL

От kevin cheung
Тема Sneak preview of a new generation of front end GUI for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-announce
An introduction of a new front end GUI for PostgreSQL user. Although this GUI is still in its beta testing stage, I do not hesitate to recommend it to all GUI users here.

Disclaimer: I am not the developer or other interested party of the below mentioned products.

I am a two years happy user of Navicat for MySQL and recently, I was given a beta version of its newly invented product - Navicat for PostgreSQL. I was surprised and excited to know that Navicat finally supports PostgreSQL and indeed, I was considering to migrate from MySQL to PostgreSQL for the time being.

While testing the new GUI, I have also tried out other PostgreSQL administration tools such as PgAdmin and pgaccess. Since this new product is still in its beta stage, I found some minor bugs, however, I think it is inevitable for a pre-release product. If talking about its major features, I can say it surpasses other GUI tools that I have tried so far. It features an intuitive interface with a comprehensive user management system and supports multiple database connection. I am impressed with its high productivity, automation, and powerful import and export capabilities.

Since Navicat for PostgreSQL has not been released, here is a sneak preview of the features that Navicat possesses according to my observation.

Major features:
Visual Query Builder
Report Builder
SSH Tunnel for remote database connection
Database transfer from server to server
Data and Structure Synchronization
Data backup and restore
Import/ Export of Access, Excel, XML, etc to and from PostgreSQL
Scheduling of all the above action
Easy-to-use wizards for the above action

It appears to support all of the latest PostgreSQL features such as tablespaces, argument names in functions, and so on.

Anyone who is also interested in trying out this beta version can download it at http://www.navicat.com/download/pgnavicat2005trial.exe or check out http://www.navicat.com to see if it would reveal the release date of this fantastic product.

В списке pgsql-announce по дате отправления: