Re: postgres optimization (effective_cache_size)

От
Тема Re: postgres optimization (effective_cache_size)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

I followed this advice for picking a good effective_cache_size value
(below) from Scott Marlowe, and run into a bit of trouble:

I looked at the `top' output and saw "721380k cached".
So I calculated the effective cache size using Scott's formula:

  721380/8 = 90172

Then I changed my effective_cache size from the previous 10000 to
90172:

  effective_cache_size = 90172   # typically 8KB each

I restarted PG, and thought I'd see some performance improvements, but
I actually saw degradation in performance.  All of a sudden a query
that took a second started taking a few seconds, and consumed more CPU
than before.

Can anyone explain this drop in performance and increase in CPU usage
and tell me what I did wrong?

I also noticed that the "721380k cached" number in top dropped to about
300000k (about a half).  Maybe that was simply due to PG restart?  If
so, does that indicate the kernel had about 400,000K worth of PG data
cached?

Thanks,
Otis