Re: vulnerability/SSL

От Changyu Dong
Тема Re: vulnerability/SSL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Marco,
The problem I described in the first mail is that
because of some unknown reasons, if you save the
server.key file with a passphrase, you will be
prompted to enter the passphrase every time you start
the server AND a client make a connection, which
actually forbids us to use a passphrase to protect the
key file, therefore the key file have to be saved in
plaintext without encryption.
EFS is a feature provided by Windows which will
encrypt any selected file using a symmetric algorithm,
the symmetric key will encrypted by the user¡¯s public
key and the recovery agent¡¯s public key and the
encrypted key will be saved within the file header.
Thus only the user and recovery agent can decrypt it.
And for another user, he cannot even open it (but can
delete it). So we can ensure no one can read and
modify it. Decryption is transparent to users and
applications. The operation system will do it
automatically if it can find appropriate private key.
The difference between this and -r--------  1 postgres
postgres    50 Jan 15 21:15
is that the file is encrypted using EFS, while the
latter is remain plaintext.
When you backup the file, it remains encrypted. If you
restore the file to a file system which doesn¡¯t
support EFS (non-NTFS), it will corrupt, else it will
remain encrypted.

cheers,
Changyu