Re: Moving pg_xlog

От Himanshu Baweja
Тема Re: Moving pg_xlog
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>It seems highly unlikely that putting more stuff on the xlog disk will
>improve performance --- at least not if your bottleneck is update speed.

Tom you are right.. i did some testing...
1) default config--- xlog on disk1 and data on disk2=>
    27 mins and 22 secs
2) xlog and some tables on disk1 and rest of tables on disk2=>
    28 mins and 38 secs

but the most startling of the results is....
3) xlog on disk1 and half the tables on partition 1 of disk2 and other half on partition 2 of disk2
   24 mins and 14 secs

shouldnt moving data to diff partitions degrade performance instead of enhancing it....

also  in configuration 1, my heap_blks_hit/heap_blks_fetched was good enough....
but in configuration 3, its was really low.. something of the order of 1/15...
still the performance improved....

any ideas.....
does moving across partitions help...

Regards