OurPlanet... environmental newsletter

От E - The Environmental Magazine
Тема OurPlanet... environmental newsletter
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Subscribe – Unsubscribe – About Our Planet – Feedback – Privacy Policy
Commentary Archive – News Archive
Week of May 22, 2005
NEWS THIS WEEK
Bush Gives Energy Plan Final Push
President Bush used an appearance at a Virginia biodiesel plant last week to campaign for passage of his energy plan, part of which calls for increasing the production of alternative fuels to reduce dependence on foreign oil sources.
Go to all articles
- Go to this article
Nuclear Energy: A Bitter Pill to Alleviate Global Warming?
Some prominent environmentalists--as well as Senators McCain and Lieberman, who back legislation to reduce carbon dioxide emissions--are supporting further development of nuclear power to serve as an emission-free bridge to an economy based entirely on renewable energy.
Go to all articles
- Go to this article
 Reporting by Roddy Scheer
THIS WEEK'S COMMENTARY
Sustainable Forestry...With a Chainsaw?
A moving counter on the home page of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) lets web surfers know that the program is responsible for saving more than 5.3 billion trees since it was launched in 1995. "Keeping our forests healthy is important," the group, launched as an offshoot of the American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) solemnly proclaims. "Healthy forests will continue to provide the wood and paper products that are vital to all of us while also ensuring that we have forests and wildlife for future generations of Americans." By Jim Motavalli and Brian C. Howard
Go to all articles
- Go to this article
IN THE CURRENT ISSUE OF E
GREEN LIVING
Borrowing Power
Financing Energy Efficiency through "Green" Mortgages
Given that most of us spend as much as two-thirds of our time at home, our environmental footprints are largely determined by the efficiency of our residential heating and cooling systems and the resources we consume to keep our houses up and running. Now a movement is afoot among real estate lenders to offer special mortgage purchasing programs and incentives designed to reward energy efficiency and sustainable building and restoration. By Roddy Scheer
Go to all articles
- Go to this article
FEATURES
The Paiute Mining Disaster
The Yerington Anaconda Mine in northern Nevada was one of the world’s largest producers of copper from 1953 to 2000. Today, nearby residents complain the defunct site is a major polluter. The Yerington Paiute Tribe’s (YPT) Campbell Ranch Reservation is barely three miles north, downwind from the 3,500-acre mining property and squarely in the path of any contaminants that might leave the mine. By Bob Boyce
Go to all articles
- Go to this article
EARTHTALK
Week of 5/22/2005
Dear EarthTalk: The organization American Rivers names 10 "endangered rivers" every year. Which ones are they for 2005 -and are there any success stories pertaining to past nominees?

Dear EarthTalk: What exactly constitutes "Eco-Travel" or "Eco-Tourism"?

Go to this week's EarthTalk
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
This content is brought to you as a free public service by E/The Environmental Magazine, which is published by Earth Action Network, Inc., a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization. Our address is 28 Knight Street, Norwalk, CT 06851.

We ask that you:

Subscribe to our magazine ($20/yr. US)
Order a Free Trial Issue
Make a tax deductible donation

If you are having difficulty unsubscribing, copy and paste the following into the subject line of an
otherwise blank email addressed to: