Re: Partitioning / Clustering

От Adam Haberlach
Тема Re: Partitioning / Clustering
Дата
Re: Partitioning / Clustering
Список pgsql-performance
I think that perhaps he was trying to avoid having to buy "Big Iron" at all.

With all the Opteron v. Xeon around here, and talk of $30,000 machines,
perhaps it would be worth exploring the option of buying 10 cheapass
machines for $300 each.  At the moment, that $300 buys you, from Dell, a
2.5Ghz Pentium 4 w/ 256mb of RAM and a 40Gb hard drive and gigabit ethernet.
The aggregate CPU and bandwidth is pretty stupendous, but not as easy to
harness as a single machine.

For those of us looking at batch and data warehousing applications, it would
be really handy to be able to partition databases, tables, and processing
load across banks of cheap hardware.

Yes, clustering solutions can distribute the data, and can even do it on a
per-table basis in some cases.  This still leaves it up to the application's
logic to handle reunification of the data.

Ideas:
    1. Create a table/storage type that consists of a select statement
on another machine.  While I don't think the current executor is capable of
working on multiple nodes of an execution tree at the same time, it would be
great if it could offload a select of tuples from a remote table to an
entirely different server and merge the resulting data into the current
execution.  I believe MySQL has this, and Oracle may implement it in another
way.

    2. There is no #2 at this time, but I'm sure one can be
hypothesized.

...Google and other companies have definitely proved that one can harness
huge clusters of cheap hardware.  It can't be _that_ hard, can it.  :)