Postgres IDENT auth problems...

От Jens Porup
Тема Postgres IDENT auth problems...
Дата
Re: Postgres IDENT auth problems...  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-admin
G'day,

I am trying to install Request Tracker (using Postgres) on a user-mode
linux server running Debian testing.

Installation (including database setup) runs flawlessly on my desktop
machine, but the postgres database setup fails on the server.

Correspondence on the Request Tracker mailing list seems to have
narrowed the problem to a postgres problem--if you can help me, it would
be much appreciated.

Here's the problem:

The request tracker database setup script dies trying to connect to
the database:

        DBI connect('dbname=template1;host=localhost','rtuser',...) failed: could not
        connect to server: Connection refused at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-database line 110

So I wrote a little Perl script to test this:

        my $dsn = "dbi:Pg:dbname=template1";

        ###
        ### But this dies!!!
        ### my $dsn = "dbi:Pg:dbname=template1:host=localhost;";
        ###

        my $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, "rtuser", "wibble") or die "doh!\n";

For some reason specifying "host=localhost" in the $dsn causes everything to
die.

I can connect manually to the database, like so:

        root@request-tracker:~# psql -d template1 -U rtuser -W
        Password:

But it fails if I specify the host:

        root@request-tracker:~# psql -d template1 -U rtuser -h localhost -W
        Password:
        psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

Now before you ask:

Yes, the following lines appear uncommented in my
/etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf:

        tcpip_socket = true
        port = 5432

But then:

        root@request-tracker:~# netstat -auntp

shows postmaster running on a udp port???

        udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:1042          127.0.0.1:1042 ESTABLISHED18375/postmaster

A server restart shows:

        root@request-tracker:~# /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
        Stopping PostgreSQL database server: autovacuumNo pg_autovacuum found running;
        none killed.
        postmaster.
        Starting PostgreSQL database server: postmaster autovacuum.

What is pg_autovacuum anyway? I dunno....

And finally, I *do* have lines in my pg_hba.conf file (and yes, in the correct
order) to allow my user 'rtuser' to connect to template1:

        host    template1   rtuser    127.0.0.1    255.255.255.255   password
        local   template1   rtuser                                   password
        host    rtdb        rtuser    127.0.0.1    255.255.255.255   password
        local   rtdb        rtuser                                   password

The above four lines are the first uncommented lines in the file, as directed by
request tracker's INSTALL.Debian.

I should note that for whatever reason, Debian testing seems to
mistakenly read from /var/lib/postgres/data/pg_hba.conf instead of
/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf. I've symlinked the two, so this is not a
cause of the problem.

I have thoroughly and completely exhausted everything I can think of for
this problem. Request Tracker using postgres is up and running
fine--straight out of the box--on my Debian testing desktop, but not the
uml server.

Something about that host=localhost thing....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jens