Re: Scaling further up

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: Scaling further up
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 04:50:04PM -0500, Anjan Dave wrote:
> time/resources to do extensive testing,  I am not sure if
> Postgres/Solaris9 is really suggested by the community for
> high-performance, as opposed to a XEON/Linux setup. Storage being a
> separate discussion.

I can tell you from experience that performance on Solaris is nowhere
close to what you'd expect, given the coin you're forking over for
it.  I think the reason to use Solaris is its support for all the
nifty hot-swappable hardware, and not for its speed or any putative
benefit you might get from having 64 bits at your disposal.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun