Re: FreeBSD config

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: FreeBSD config
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Friday 27 February 2004 21:03, scott.marlowe wrote:
> Linux doesn't work with a pre-assigned size for kernel cache.
> It just grabs whatever's free, minus a few megs for easily launching new
> programs or allocating more memory for programs, and uses that for the
> cache.  then, when a request comes in for more memory than is free, it
> dumps some of the least used buffers and gives them back.
>
> It would seem to work very well underneath a mixed load server like an
> LAPP box.

I was just pointing out that freeBSD is different than linux nd for one thing
it is good because if there is a bug in freeSD VM, it won't run rampant
because you can explicitly limit kernel cache and other parameter.

OTOH, freeBSD VM anyways works. And running unlimited kernel cache allowed
linux to iron out some of corner cases bugs.

Not a concern anymore I believe but having choice is always great..

Shridhar