Re: What is pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index?

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: What is pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:57:18PM +0200, Dirk Lutzeb?ck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can somebody please explain what these two system indexes are:
>
> pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index

This is on the attribute ('column' for ease of thinking) name and
relation oid on the pg_attribute table.

> pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index

And this the same, only attribute number.

> the first one is the largest relation in terms of relpages in my
> database. The latter comes at the third. Why are they so big?

Have you done a lot of work (adding tables, or temp tables
especially) to your database without doing VACUUM?  If you go to
single user mode and REINDEX that table you might find it helps.
Otherwise, I doubt they should be so large as a percentage, unless
you have an empty database with lots of columns with long names.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110